|You are a |
You are best described as a:
Link: The Politics Test on Ok Cupid
Also: The OkCupid Dating Persona Test
Monday, March 27, 2006
Sunday, March 26, 2006
Thanks Kevin...or should I say "Harold" for keeping us girls safe from all the fabulous men at Austin City! ;)
Why are you taking my picture with my camera? This is Jeff's Birthday - the same night I managed to trip up my concrete apartment steps and hurt my knee...almost 6 weeks ago...it still hurts....
Andrea and Laura at Cheapside!! Andrea is going to be my roommate in May - we are going to throw some KICK @SS parties at our house starting in July - so be prepared, because... we're a pretty big deal :)
Saturday, March 25, 2006
This was seeing the kids over Christmas - I promise Kate was having fun even though it looks like she was trying to escape :)
During one of the 30 minute worship services during the Famine we lit 600 candles to represent the 600 children that will die every 30 minutes from hunger related and preventable causes. At the end of the worship service we blew all of those candles out, knowing that what was really represented was a life.
The participants learned what poverty is like here in the States. The kids were given $10 and had to purchase as much food as the could on that $10. However, they couldn't buy 100 packages of Raman Noodles and call it a day - they were required to have all three meals represented in their purchases. The food was then donated to God's Pantry along with the other almost 300 nonperishable items raised during the Famine.
These are the girls that save me everyday at Seminary and help keep me sane! Kelley and Andrea both joined in the fun on the 30 Hour Famine with their Youth groups.
*None of the adults actually cheated during the 30 Hour Famine* We had just reached the stage of delirium and thought this photo would be funny - not comments from the peanut gallery please :)
Thursday, March 23, 2006
Ok, so I know I spend...I mean waste a lot of time on the internet, filling out pointless surveys and taking pointless quizzes, but I know they are all in good fun, so it's no big deal. I ran across this one the other day, and I'm just a bit confused?
How is the internet going to determine this? How is my computer going to help in this manner? Am I supposed to makeout with my floppy drive in hopes that it does the same in return and that it will then give me an answer? Maybe its just me, but its at this point that we are making MySpace a little bit too much of a reality and hiding too much behind our keyboards at this point. What are you going to say, "well I don't care what you think, MySpace Quizzes told me I AM a good kisser!" Like I said, I may spend a lot of time on the internet, hiding behind this reality that I have created on my page. Which yes, it gives me a little more freedom to be who I want to, when I may have formally been to shy or introverted to do so, but this quiz, that's taking things a little too far. On a similar note - I think most of my posts lately have been fairly crass and negative, but then again, I am right in the middle of midterms...blah! I will try to post something positive and possibly some pictures this weekend - because I know I haven't done that in a while.... just AFTER my test on the first 1500 years of Christianity - you know....nothing too big ;)
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Saturday, March 18, 2006
Friday, March 17, 2006
For all you clueless men - and tips for you on women...
1. Whatever you do, don't just show up at their house...they run around in their underwear just like we do.
2. DON'T CHEAT ON THEM. It may seem foolproof, but girls tell each other everything about everything. Trust me, they WILL find out and you will be mud.
3. Beware of every single male relative and all guy friends. Any of them would kick your ass at the drop of a hat, and a lot of them wouldn't even wait for the damn hat.
4. NEVER miss an opportunity to tell them they're beautiful.
5. DON'T refuse to kiss in front of your friends. If they laugh at you, it's because they're jealous.
6. If they slap you hard, you deserved it.
7. Don't be afraid to touch them if you want to. If they're going out with you in the first place, it's because they like being in your arms.
8. If you don't sleep with them, DO NOT tell your friends that you did.
8 1/2. If you DO sleep with them, DO NOT tell your friends that you did.
9. You can be dirty minded in private, really...most of them are not offended by it, and some enjoy it too - just do it in private...
10. Not all of them eat like birds, a lot of them can eat like whales.
10 1/2. If they do eat like birds - it doesn't mean they're on a diet - and especially not for you...
11. Most of them don't mind paying half of everything, but they do discuss these things with their friends. Realize that if you make your girlfriend pay half ALL the time, everyone will know about it and your friends will know you're a pussy..
11 1/2. Do you honestly need all your money that much? Be a man, pay ALL the time!
12. Every girl should eventually get three things from her boyfriend- a stuffed animal, ONE OF HIS SWEATSHIRTS, and a really PRETTY RING. Even if it's not a serious relationship.
13. Make sure she gets home safely as often as you can. If you're dropping her off, walk her to the door. If you aren't dropping her off, call to be sure she's home safely.
14. If a guy is BOTHERING her, it is your right to beat the shit out of him. (Make sure not to confuse this with the men from #3)
15. If you're talking to a female friend of yours, PULL YOUR girlfriend closer.
16. NEVER, ever slap her, even if it's just in a joking way. Even if she swats you first, and says, "Oh, you're so dumb" or something, never make any gestures back.
17. Go to a chick flick once in a while. She doesn't care whether you enjoy it or not, it just matters that you went.
18. You're dead meat if you can't get along with their pets, parents, and best friends. Be prince charming to their friends, Mr. Polite to their parents, and make sure to be nice to their animals.
19. Don't flirt with their moms...that's just freaky. Or their sisters - that's just bad.
20. Don't be freaked out by PMS. It's not gross, and it really does make them feel like shit, so be understanding.
21. If you don't like the way they drive, you do it.
22. If you're officially dating, and you're introducing her to your friends, you'd better damn well introduce her as your girlfriend.
23. Don't stress where you go for every date. They really only want to be with you - even if its in sweatpants on the couch.
24. If they complain that something hurts, rub it for them without being asked.
25. Girls are fragile. Even if you're play fighting/wrestling, be very gentle.
26. Memorize their damn birthdays. You forget her birthday and you're basically screwed for life.
27. Don't marinade the cologne, but smell good.
28. Don't give her something stupid for her birthday or Christmas or Valentine's day. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it has to be meaningful - and you have to remember.
29. If you think the relationship isn't going to last, DON'T WAIT to find out. It will only hurt her more if you draw it out. Honesty really is the best in this situation.
30. After you've been dating for a while, realize that they really have started to trust you. When you have a girlfriend who truly trusts you, you have a lot more responsibility, privilege and control than you would think. Be careful with it, most guys would kill for that kind of power...but it can be lost in a nanosecond.
Thursday, March 16, 2006
Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Monday, March 13, 2006
I preached on Sunday at my home church - thanks to all the family and friends who came to hear my preach, I'm glad to know I have a lot of support even if people don't understand why or what I'm doing - but knowing they support me.
I accidently kissed my ex-boyfriend - yes I said accidently... I really didn't intend on doing this, but when he was getting ready to leave, I leaned into hug him and it came to a quick kiss and a hug... odd...hmmm...oh, this was not DURING the preaching...no worries :)
I hung out with my family on Sunday night...this was probably one of the best times of the weekend at home. We all ate around a really small table, because the kitchen is being remodeled, so make do with the table that's available...no fancy dinner, no TV, waiting out a tornado warning together (yay for ACTUAL severe weather rather than the pretend crap in KY) and did stupid things like played "Heart and Soul" on our piano for probably a good 20 minutes straight watching my nephew dance around the living room - or letting my niece run around the house with my digital camera and take pictures of anyone and everything including the table, the light and the popcorn bowl :)
I know, I know, this is probably the least exciting blog you've ever read in your entire life - but I don't care, I'm just happy with the wonderful time I had at home with family. It's amazing the simplicity you miss when you grow up and what you take for granted...and its amazing how much people don't change while you grow up...staying the same....both for the good and the bad.
Saturday, March 11, 2006
Our Lager, Which art in barrels, Hallowed be thy drink, Thy will be drunk, (I will be drunk), At home as in the tavern. Give us this day our foamy head, And forgive us our spillages, As we forgive those who spill against us. And lead us not to incarceration, But deliver us from hangovers, (And Friday staff meetings), For thine is the beer, The Bitter and the lager, Forever and ever, Barmen.
I'm on my home to KC to preach - call the cell if you want to hang out, I'll be there until Tuesday!
Monday, March 06, 2006
Sunday, March 05, 2006
Have you ever been in love? Horrible, isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up this whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...
You give them a piece of you. They don't ask for it. But you give it to them anyway. They do something dumb one day like kiss you, or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so a simple phrase like "maybe we should just be friends" turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.
Saturday, March 04, 2006
Recently I receive a forward from a friend that I found quite disturbing and wanted to correct what I could. I'm not trying to be rude or condescending towards him or anyone else for that matter, but true religion and true union with God will never be achieved if we continue to spread biased and un-researched claims around the world about one another's religions.
The forward was a powerpoint that started with two slides of text, "An 8 year old child was caught in a market in Iran for stealing bread. In the name of Islam he is being punished. His arm will be crushed by a car. He will loose forever the possibility to use his arm again. Is this a religion of peace and love?" The powerpoint proceeds to show 6 pictures in sequence of this little boy getting his arm crushed and run over by this truck. The final slide is more commentary ending with "Marvelous religion?"
I just want to answer the question, "Is this a religion of peace and love?" YES IT IS - but the administration and executive power that runs rampant in that country is not one of peace and love and THAT is the problem - NOT ISLAM!! That heinous act is not really being done in the name of Islam and religion. They may claim that it is, but Islam DOES NOT condone this sort of behavior anywhere in the Koran. The true meaning of Islam means “peace achieved through submission to God” (The same God that Christians and Jews worship, according to the prophet Mohammed who said himself that this was the same God of the Jews and Christians). The word Islam means surrender or submission and is derived from the same word meaning peace (all in Arabic) – the word Peace in Arabic is Salaam…
However, the problem lies in the inability to separate Islam the religion from the cultural and political rules and regulations that permeate most countries where Islam is the main religion. Islam is all at once a civilization, culture AND a faith. There is NO distinction made between what is secular and what is spiritual. Faith and politics go hand in hand. So in the same way that a damaging voice politically can do damage to the faith, the same can be vice versa in Islam. How many would have accepted the Bible and its teachings if the “KKK” introduced the Bible to them? THE US Government used scripture in the Bible to support the continuation of slavery in this country, just 100 some years ago. In the same way – people misuse scripture in the Koran to create bogus and horrendous laws which allow this type of action towards 8 year old children. And the problem there lies in the fact that administrations in many countries in the middle east are so heavily infiltrated with misunderstandings of the Koran and the true meaning of Islam, that they continue to allow this to happen. It can be hard to for us understand or comprehend this, coming from the US where faith and politics are generally separated. But imagine this – Imagine if our laws were made and governed by how George Bush (or Bill Clinton, or whoever the president is/was) understood the Bible. Our laws, our fiscal policies, our foreign policies, our policies on education, health care – ALL OF IT – would be based off of how George Bush understood the Bible and his own personal theology. Now I KNOW that George Bush is not a Biblical Scholar – heck I know I’m not even close to one, and I’m in seminary to become a minister – so imagine how it is for countries that practice Islam. Their leaders that they elect may have a misunderstood interpretation of the Koran and the faith of Islam – and therefore so does the entire country, because their entire country is permeated with fiscal policies, foreign policies, welfare programs, education systems – all of them with a possible misinterpretation of the faith they are so adamantly defending. I am involved with an organization here in KY that is actually a national organization – called the interfaith alliance – where members of many different religions, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs – 70 faith traditions in all, as well as many Agnostics and Atheists – all work TOGETHER to promote democratic values, defend religious liberty, challenge hatred and religious bigotry (this act of “punishment”) and reinvigorate INFORMED civic participation. The interfaith alliance is the faith based voice countering the radical right (of all religions) and promoting the positive role of religion. I’m not trying to encourage everyone to love Islam – clearly it’s not the faith for me either, I have chosen to follow Christ – but that is based off a theological well researched and thought out decision, not based off of propaganda (from any religion) that has no basis on the true meaning of their religion. My decision and opinion of Islam is based off the true understanding of “Peace achieved through submission to God” – not what the news is trying to portray or what a disturbed civic leader in a middle eastern country is trying to tell me what Islam means.
I ALSO have to add - that underneath the english in this powerpoint, there is a translation of the same thing in another language - although many may confuse the characters of translation to be arabic (out of assumption because of the content of the powerpoint) they are actually Hebrew - there are very few countries, if more than one where Hebrew is actually spoken on a regular basis. That would be Israel. In case you've been under a rock for the last 50 years, there is a major dispute in Israel over the land it was given by the UN from the area of Palestine. My limited education and understanding of that conflict would however lead me to believe though that this was or is some sort of propoganda that is also being passed around Israel. I know the US has traditionally supported Israel in the conflict, and if people, both in the US and in Israel continue to believe that Palestine is horrible because of its religion, Islam - than the cause of Israel and Judaism will continue to look like the better of the two options. This could be looked at as "one point for them" and their ability to so falsely and incorrectly "prove" the problems with violence in Islam. Now don't put words in my mouth and assume that I am "on the side" of the Palestinians - because like I said, I have limited knowledge and understanding of the issues - but I do have enough to identify propoganda supporting a cause. Yeah for my Hebrew classes finally paying off...
Lastly I will just leave you with this quote. "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -- Steven Weinberg